Happy Thanksgiving! Holidays always sneak up on me and I never get my themed recipes out early. I thought of this Black Friday Pie a week after Thanksgiving last year and was determined to get it out on time this year. Of course, it’s tricky because you don’t have all those leftovers lying around, but you make it work. It’s pretty simple, but there is plenty of room for creativity. A layer of leftover cranberry sauce on the bottom, perhaps? Combine the turkey with green bean casserole instead of gravy. Use whatever you have left from the big meal, provided of course you don’t have issues with food touching 🙂
3 cups stuffing/dressing
4 eggs, seperated
1-2 tablespoons water
3 cups turkey or chicken, diced or shredded
1/2 cup gravy
1/4 cup dried cranberries, optional
1/4 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped, optional
2 cups mashed potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, coat a pie pan with cooking spray and set aside. Some of the ingredient may be a little stiff from being in the fridge, if so, microwave for 15-30 seconds or so to loosen them up.
- In a medium bowl, combine the stuffing/dressing and 2 eggs. You may need a tablespoon or two of tap water if the stuffing is too dry, you’ll want it to have a dough-like consistency. Once combined, transfer to the pie plate and form into a pie crust. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, combine the chopped turkey or chicken with the gravy, one egg, and optional parsley and dried cranberries. Add salt and pepper if necessary. Spread the mixture in the pie pan. Then evenly spread the mashed potatoes on top.
- Evenly spread the mashed potatoes, then brush the top with a beaten egg. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the sides bubble and the top has started to turn golden.
- Let rest and set about 10 minutes, then serve and nosh!