This pico de gallo is a great topping on plain chips, nachos, eggs, you name it!! It’s super fresh and fast, not to mention easy to make year round by substituting a package of always tasty grape or cherry tomatoes during the off season. In a pinch you can even substitute a 28-ounce can of no-salt-added diced tomatoes to make a pantry-style salsa in minutes.
4 Roma Tomatoes, diced
1/2 small white or yellow onion, finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons cilantro, roughly chopped
1 lime, juiced
Hot sauce or minced jalapeno, optional
Pinch of salt
- Dice the onion and place in a bowl with the lime juice and salt. Toss well and set aside.
- Chop the tomatoes, having removed the seeds and liquid to prevent the pico from becoming too soupy.
- Combine tomatoes with the onion and the cilantro.
- If desired, add a few dashes of hot sauce or some minced jalapenos (use as little or as much as you prefer).
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve and nosh!
The pico de gallo will get better the longer it sits, so if possible, make at least a few hours in advance and let the flavors mingle.